Pioneer and Merdeka Generation Seniors
to Receive $278 million in MediSave Top-Ups in July 2021
1. Pioneer Generation (PG) and Merdeka Generation (MG) seniors will receive MediSave top-ups totalling $278 million in July 2021.
2. MediSave can be used to pay the premiums for MediShield Life and other MediSave-approved insurance plans, as well as medical expenses such as hospitalisation, day surgeries, and outpatient treatments.
3. About 450,000 Pioneers and 500,000 MG seniors have benefitted from MediSave top-ups as part of the PG and MG Packages, since their launch in 2014 and 2019 respectively.
4. The PG and MG MediSave top-ups are on top of the annual GST Voucher – MediSave top-ups1 for eligible Singaporeans aged 65 and above.
Eligible Pioneers will receive the enhanced MediSave Top-Up of up to $900 from 2021
5. From 2021, the Government will provide higher annual MediSave top-ups of $250 to $900 to all Pioneers, compared to $200 to $800 previously. Pioneers will continue to receive these annual top-ups for life. Additionally, older Pioneers (aged 82 years and above in 2021) who have serious pre-existing conditions will receive further top-ups of $50 to $200 per year from 2021 to 2025 (see Table 1) to help them pay their higher MediShield Life premiums. This was announced by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on 21 December 2020 as part of our commitment to keep premiums affordable for our Pioneers who have generally accumulated less MediSave than younger Singaporeans. The top-ups for Pioneers will amount to about $182 million this year. More information on the benefits of the PG Package are at Annex A.
Table 1: Pioneer Generation Annual MediSave Top-Ups
|Year of Birth|
(Age in 2021)
|Before 2021||2021 onwards|||
|||||No serious pre-existing condition||With serious pre-existing condition2|
|Born before or in 1934|
(87 and above)
(i.e. total $1,100)
|Born in 1935 – 1939|
(82 – 86)
(i.e. total $750)
|Born in 1940 – 1944|
(77 – 81)
|Born in 1945 – 1949|
(72 – 76)
6. With these enhancements, Pioneers aged 87 and above in 2021 will continue to see their MediShield Life premiums fully covered. Younger Pioneers will have about two-thirds of their MediShield Life premiums covered.
Eligible MG Seniors will Receive a MediSave Top-Up of $200
7. The MG Package, which was introduced in 2019, supports our MG seniors to stay active and healthy and provides them with greater assurance with healthcare costs in their silver years. This is the third year that MG seniors are receiving their MediSave top-ups. More information on the benefits of the Merdeka Generation Package are at Annex B.
8. MG seniors will receive $200 in MediSave top-ups every year from 2019 to 2023. The top-ups will amount to about $96 million this year.
More Information on PG and MG Packages
9. By end-June 2021, Pioneers and MG seniors will receive letters informing them of the details of their MediSave top-ups for 2021, which will be credited in July 2021. The letters will also inform them of other benefits they are eligible for under the PG or MG Packages.
10. More information on the PG Package and MG Package is available at www.pioneers.gov.sg and www.merdekageneration.sg respectively.
11. For clarifications, seniors may call or email:
- 1800 2222 888 (PG and MG Packages); 1800 650 6060 (healthcare matters); or
- email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 The amount of GST Voucher – MediSave that a senior citizen can receive is dependent on age, Annual Value (AV) of place of residence, and the number of properties owned. More information can be found at https://www.gstvoucher.gov.sg.
2 The additional MediSave top-up is only applicable from 2021 to 2025.
Issued by the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Health
21 June 2021
For media enquiries, please contact:
Name: Ms Karen Kwan
Tel: 9641 5057
Name: Mr Yap Wei Qiang
Annex A: About the Pioneer Generation Package
1. The Pioneer Generation Package was introduced to honour and thank our Pioneers for their hard work and dedication. This special cohort has made Singapore what it is today. Singaporean seniors who meet the following conditions are eligible for the Pioneer Generation Package:
a. Born on or earlier than 31 December 1949 (i.e. 72 years old and above in 2021); and
b. Became Singapore citizen on or before 31 December 1986.
2. The Pioneer Generation Package comprises the following lifetime benefits:
a. Annual MediSave top-ups of $250 to $900 (was $200 to $800 before 2021). The amount is based on the birth year. Pioneers born earlier receive higher top-ups as they typically have accumulated less savings. From 2021 to 2025, older Pioneers (aged 82 years and above in 2021) who have serious pre-existing conditions and need to pay higher MediShield Life premiums will also receive a one-off MediSave top-up of $50 to $200 per year.
b. Special subsidies for outpatient care:
i. Additional 50% off the remaining bill for subsidised services and medications at polyclinics and public Specialist Outpatient Clinics;
ii. Special subsidies at General Practitioner (GP) and dental clinics under the Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS); and
iii. Cash assistance of up to $1,200 a year for those with moderate to severe functional disabilities under the Pioneer Generation Disability Assistance Scheme (PGDAS).
c. Special premium subsidies of 40% - 60% for MediShield Life premiums.
d. Additional participation incentive of $1,500 if Pioneers join CareShield Life between 2021 and 2023. They will receive a total of $4,000 in participation incentives, which will be spread equally over ten years and used to offset the annual premium payable in that year.
Annex B: About the Merdeka Generation Package
1. The Merdeka Generation Package aims to encourage seniors to stay active and healthy, and provide greater assurance with healthcare costs in their silver years. Singaporean seniors who meet the following conditions are eligible for the Merdeka Generation Package:
a. Born between 1 January 1950 and 31 December 1959 (i.e. 62 to 71 years old in 2021); and
b. Became Singapore citizens on or before 31 December 1996.
2. The Merdeka Generation Package is also extended to the following Singaporeans:
a. Born on or earlier than 31 December 1949 (i.e. 72 years old and above in 2021);
b. Became Singapore citizens by 31 December 1996; and
c. Do not receive the Pioneer Generation Package.
3. The Merdeka Generation Package comprises the following benefits:
a. Annual MediSave top-up of $200 for five years, from 2019 to 2023.
b. Additional subsidies for outpatient care:
i. Additional 25% off the remaining bill for subsidised services and medications at polyclinics and public Specialist Outpatient Clinics; and
ii. Special subsidies at General Practitioner (GP) and dental clinics under the Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS).
c. Additional premium subsidies of 5% for MediShield Life premiums, increasing to 10% after age 75.
d. One-time $100 PAssion Silver card top-up (only redeemable once).
e. Additional participation incentive of $1,500 if Merdeka Generation seniors join CareShield Life between 2021 and 2023. They will receive a total of $4,000 in participation incentives, which will be spread equally over ten years and used to offset the annual premium payable in that year.
About Ministry of Finance
The Ministry of Finance aims to advance the well-being and development of Singapore through Finance. The Ministry strives to achieve a balanced budget through prudent and sustainable fiscal policies, foster a regulatory environment conducive to business and enterprise, ensure prudent investment of the Government's reserves and other public funds, and sets policies for government procurement, customs regulation, accounting standards and business regulation.
We achieve this together with our departments (Accountant-General's Department, Singapore Customs and Vital), and statutory boards/bodies (Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, Tote Board and Singapore Accountancy Commission).
For more information, please visit www.mof.gov.sg.
Follow MOF on www.facebook.com/MOFsg and www.twitter.com/MOFsg.